CfP: AESOP PHD workshop. PLANNING AND URBANISM RESEARCH IN A GLOBAL WORLD. 13-17/6/2016
- November 17, 2015
- PhD workshop; AESOP YA; Leuven
AESOP PHD workshop 13-17/6/2016
Deadline for abstract submission 15 December 2015
The AESOP PhD workshop 2016 focuses on ‘PLANNING AND URBANISM RESEARCH IN A GLOBAL WORLD’ and will take place in the cities of Leuven and Brussels in Belgium from 13 to 17 June 2016.
The Local Organising Committee and the Scientific Committee welcome PhD research on the following themes:
Informality in Human Settlements
Ecological Crises and Social Resilience
- Participation in Planning, Design and Community Building
- Land Tenure Systems
- Research by Design addressing particular dimensions of the overall topic.
More in general, it encourages PhD students who feel in tune with the overall topic and one of the themes and are willing to discuss their research path within an international community of researchers and highly experienced academic staff.
The prior aim of the workshop is to assist and guide doctoral researchers in the starting phase or a more advanced stage of their PhD research. The focus of the workshop is on ‘doing research’, on addressing planning and urbanism issues in a scientifically grounded way.
The AESOP PhD Workshop 2016 is organised by the Department of Architecture (ASRO and Sint-Lucas) of KU Leuven and the Department of Sociology of the University of Antwerp. The PhD workshop will take place in the cities of Leuven (3 days) and Brussels (1 day). Both cities are easily accessible by public transportation.
How to apply ?
If you are interested in participating in the PhD Workshop please submit an abstract and a motivation letter by 15 December 2015.
The abstract should include the following sections:
- Information about the author, supervisor(s) and institutional affiliation
- Keywords (max five)
- Road map (max. 200 words) … explaining the stage of your work at the time of the abstract submission within the overall time-line of the PhD research project.
- Content of PhD research (max 500 words) … briefly explaining the context, the main objective and the research question(s) of the research project.
- Research design and methods (Max.300 words) … outlining the methodological approach conceived to reach the objective illustrated in the previous point.
- Focus of presentation at PhD workshop … specify which part of the research you would like to present at the PhD workshop.
- Applications should be emailed to the help desk representatives Loris Servillo (email@example.com) and Karel Wuytack (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Practicalities and bursaries
350 euro for a participant of an AESOP member school
400 euro for a participant of a non-AESOP member school
Selected candidates will be informed about the payment modalities together with the notification of the positive assessment of their application. A limited number of bursaries of 500€ are available. Please motivate your eligibility for a bursary in your motivation letter. Applicants are also kindly invited to register to the YA-AESOP network to receive news and updated information relevant for the workshop (http://www.aesop-youngacademics.net/).
Deadline of motivation letters and abstracts: 15 December 2015
Decision and notification: 15 February 2016